Sunday, June 10, 2007

Inka, Broome, WA


Please note. The original memories were spoken in Finnish.


Inka speaks:


[...] Another thing that comes to mind from the school years… A sort of [memory] of when I always used to go marching for the peace and May Day marches and so forth. I don’t remember when I went marching for the first time, but I remember that I participated in The Peace and Hope Summer March, which must have been in the early 1980s. But this probably happened when I was in the fourth grade and I was about 10 years old, and I went marching for peace with Hatsi. And I went to her house and she often painted her face. This time she had painted her face and [she] had a peace sign. And then we went marching and that was around May Day, I think, and it was about 10 degrees [Celsius] during the daytime. And I was wearing a white beanie and we went, (it was somewhere close to the Senate Square), and we went marching there, the two of us, for peace. We walked in and there was a bunch of cameramen there. When we walked past them, we said, “Yes, we want peace” and they said, “Hey, we want to get that on tape.” So then we went back and they filmed us saying, “We want peace”, and then it was shown on the evening news the same night. And the next day when I went to school, the grade fives, when I walked passed them, on my way to another classroom, there was a group of boys or something and they started teasing, “beanie in the freezing, we want peace.” They started sort of sneering at that… ha ha ha… then I was totally embarrassed. [...]


________


Inka kertoo muistojaan:


[...] Toinen juttu, joka tulee mielee niinku kouluajoilta. Semmonen ku mä kävin aika usein niinku rauhanmarsseilla ja vappumarsseilla ja sillee. Mä en muista millon mä ekan kerran kävin jossain sellasel marssilla, mut sen mä muistan, et mä kävin sellasel Rauhan ja Toivon Kesä-marssilla, joka oli varmaa joskus niinku aikasi 80-luvulla. Mut tää tais olla sillon, ku mä olin neljännellä ja mä olin 10-vuotias suunnilleen ja mä menin Hatsin kans rauhan marssille. Ja menin sen himaan ja se aina niinku hirveen usein maalas naaman. Tällä kertaa se oli maalannu naamansa ja silloli rauhanmerkki. Ja sitte me mentii marssimaa ja se oli joskus vapun aikaan muistaakseni ja oli jotain 10 astetta ehkä sillee päivällä. Ja mulloli sellane valkonen pipo päässä ja mentii, se oli jossain niinku Senaatintorin lähellä tai sillee, ja me mentii sinne kahestaa marssimaan rauhan puolesta. Me käveltii sisään ja siin oli jotain kameraporukkaa. Kun me käveltii niitten ohi ni me sanottiin ”joo, me haluamme rauhaa” ja sit ne sano ”hei, me halutaan toi filmille”. Ja sit me mentii takasin ja sit meijät filmattii, ku me sanottiin ”me haluamme rauhaa” ja sit se oli uutisissa sinä iltana. Ja sit seuraavana päivänä ku mä menin kouluu niin vitosluokkalaiset, ku mä kävelin niitten ohi, me oltii menossa johonki toiseen luokkahuoneesee, ja siinä oli joku ryhmä niit poikii tai jotai sellast ja sit ne rupes sanoon, että ”pipo päässä pakkasella, haluamme rauhaa”. Rupes niinku hirveesti irvaileen sille...hih hih...sit mä olin ihan nolo siinä. [...]

No comments: