Friday, June 8, 2007

Marko and Mika, Melbourne, VIC


Please note. The original memories were spoken in English.


Mika speaks:


[...] Toboggan, I remember that... and even like when you do it here with friends when you go up I mean. It’s probably small things you do remember during when you were a kid. And… I don’t know if it was that I had a lot more fun during winter, that’s why the memories are there.

I’m trying to think if there’s anything else but as I said it’s so hard to go back because I was such a young age and as I was saying, like when I was six when I came out here, then did the majority of my growing up here... I do recall a lot more things that are done here as I was a kid but... I don’t know... like I mean I was never really pushed even as a kid, not a lot of people asking me about Finland and that because a lot of people think that my parents are Finnish and... I don’t have an accent and they do. So a lot of people, when you do say I was born in Finland, a lot of people are actually surprised.


Most of the other things... It’s just...blank.



Marko speaks:


[...] I did have to go to school by myself. I don’t know if I went every time by myself but I remember walking from there to the school. I remember the location of the school where it was on the corner. I t wasn’t too far to get, it was probably about a kilometre... less than a kilometre. So there are a few things I remember from the childhood. I just remember the house where I was born, how we used to live upstairs in Rossintie. I remember a few things of the house, of the shape, the fact it was a two-story, had a cellar, that was a couple of hundred meters from the lake and things like that. Not too many specific memories that stick out. I think a lot of them went... I think I forgot a lot of my specific childhood memories maybe because when we came to Australia, we had to concentrate so much on everything that was new: the language, the places, the people, we had no relatives, nobody that really told us anything about people back home. I think that’s where I forgot a lot of the memories because it was such a big cultural change, especially having to learn the language and things like that. I think I forgot a lot of it straight away but now when I went back as an adult I remember a lot more of the area, but I don’t have too many memories, like somebody told me once that there’s a guy that was in your class and I wouldn’t know if he walked in here right now... [...] It was more of places that I remember. I can’t remember too many events that happened to me when I was seven. Any specific anyway. Nothing that really stands out. [...]


I don’t speak about those memories to anybody, that’s probably one the things because we don’t have any other family here in Australia. So I don’t have that link to anybody else and even my fiancé, she doesn’t ask too many questions about Finland when we lived there. She asked me about my cousins and uncles and that who we communicate with email but not so much about memories. So you don’t tell stories and then you forget. [...]


___


Mika kertoo muistojaan:


[...] Pulkalla laskeminen, muistan sen... ja pidän siitä, kun täälläkin menen kavereiden kanssa pohjoiseen, tarkoitan. Luultavasti on niin, että pienet asiat muistaa lapsuudesta. Ja... en tiedä oliko niin, että oli paljon hauskempaa talvella, että siitä syystä muistot ovat siltä ajalta.

Yritän ajatella olisiko mitään muuta, mutta kuten jo sanoin, se [muisteleminen] on niin vaikeaa, koska olin niin nuori ja kuten sanoin, kun olin kuusivuotias, tulin tänne, sitten kasvoin suurimman osan lapsuuttani täällä... muistan paljon enemmän asioita, jotka tapahtuivat täällä, kun olin lapsi mutta... enpä tiedä... kuten, tarkoitan, että kukaan ei koskaan painostanut [muistamaan asioita], kun olin lapsi, kovin moni ei kysellyt Suomesta ja koska monet tietävät, että vanhempani ovat suomalaisia ja... minulla ei ole aksenttia, kun taas heillä [vanhemmillani] on [aksentti]. Joten useat ihmiset, kun kerron syntyneeni Suomessa, monet ihmiset ovat itse asiassa hämmästyneitä.

Suurin osa muista jutuista [muistoista]... on vain... tyhjää.



Marko kertoo muistojaan:


[...] Minun piti mennä kouluun yksin. En tiedä meninkö joka kerran yksin mutta muistan kävelleeni sieltä [kotoa] kouluun. Muistan [kadun] kulmauksessa olevan koulun sijainnin. Se ei ollut kovinkaan kaukana, luultavasti vain kilometrin päässä... vähemmän kuin kilometri. Joten on muutamia asioita, joita muistan lapsuudesta. Muistan vain talon, jossa synnyin, kuinka asuimme yläkerrassa Rossintiellä. Muistan muutamia asioita talosta, sen muodon, faktan että se oli kaksikerroksinen, siinä oli kellari, se oli parin sadan metrin päässä järvestä ja sen sellaista. Ei kovin monia tarkkoja muistoja, jotka työntyisivät etualalle. Ajattelen, että monet niistä menivät... ajattelen, että ehkä unohdin paljon lapsuuden muistoja, koska muutimme Australiaan, meidän piti keskittyä niin kovasti kaikkeen uuteen: kieleen, paikkoihin, ihmisiin, meillä ei ollut sukulaisia, kukaan ei oikeastaan kertonut meille mitään ihmisistä kotona [Suomessa]. Ajattelen, että siksi unohdin monia muistoja, koska tapahtui niin suuri kulttuurin muutos, varsinkin kun piti opetella kieli ja muut asiat. Ajattelen, että unohdin paljon heti välittömästi, mutta nyt kun menin takaisin [Suomeen] aikuisena, muistan paljon enemmän [asuin]alueesta, mutta minulla ei ole kovinkaan monia muistoja asioista kuten joku kerran sanoi, että tuolla menee tyyppi, joka oli sinun kanssasi samalla luokalla enkä tuntisi häntä, vaikka hän kävelisi tänne sisään juuri nyt... [---] Muistan enemmänkin paikkoja. En muista kovinkaan monia tapahtumia ajalta jolloin olin seitsemän. En mitään erityistä. En mitään mikä todella erottuisi joukosta.

[...]


En puhu noista muistoista kenellekään, yksi syy luultavasti on, että meillä ei ole muuta perhettä täällä Australiassa. Joten minulla ei ole sellaista linkkiä keneenkään, ja jopa morsiameni, hänkään ei kysy kovin monia kysymyksiä Suomesta, [siitä ajasta] kun asuimme siellä. Hän kysyi minulta serkuistani ja sedistäni ja että kenen kanssa me kommunikoimme sähköpostitse, mutta ei niinkään muistoista. Joten tarinoita ei tule kerrottua ja niin sitä unohtaa.

No comments: