Monday, June 11, 2007

Katariina, Port Hedland, WA


Please note. The original memories were spoken in Finnish.


Katariina speaks:


[...] Oh, now I remember another [memory]! One autumn. It was a new fashion. I was then at the upper girl school in Tammerkoski and I was probably 16; I wasn’t that old… maybe 14 years old… And by then Mum had sewn all of my… all of the kids’ clothes. Winter coats, and everything, were made by Mum. They were good. She was a good seamstress. But then on this [particular] autumn, Mum had a little extra money for some reason, (we were really poor), extra money, and I was allowed to buy my first autumn coat. It didn’t have to be made by Mum; I got to buy it. And that year the fashion was… what was the name of it? It was gray…. It was sort of… iron gray… . It was sort of really dark gray. And then it was fashionable to have the sort of shoes with long peaks. And they were bought for me… And everything was the same shade. It was sort of…. The coat was checked, but gray. It was… it wasn’t iron gray, what is the other word? Steel gray… what is that? Steel gray! It was steel gray! The coat was steel gray! And I was 14 when I took the communion that year. That’s how it was, and I was wearing that steel gray coat and the steel gray new shoes and steel gray leather gloves and steel gray scarf around my neck. And my communion dress was a steel gray two-piece dress suit. And steel gray stockings. I have a picture of the outfit. And that was so wonderful! Steel gray was a fashionable word. And I can feel it now, [how it felt] when I was 14 years old and everything was steel gray, ha ha ha… And then I had a green hat! They were the fashionable colours of that autumn… Ah, oh… [...]


Katariina kertoo muistojaan:


[...] Ai, mä muistan yhen kyllä! Yks syksy. Se oli uus muoti. Mä oli sillon tyttölyseossa, Tammerkosken tyttölyseossa koulussa, ja mä olin varmaan ehkä kuustoista, en ollu niin vanha... 14-vuotias ehkä... Ja siihen asti mun äiti oli aina tehny mun kaikki, meiän kaikkien lasten, vaatteet. Talvitakit, ja kaikki, oli äidin tekemiä. Ne oli hyviä. Hän oli hyvä räätäli. Mutta sitten tänä syksynä äidillä oli vähän, jostain syystä, vähän ekstra rahaa, ku oltiin hirveen köyhiä, ylimäärästä rahaa, ja mää sain ostaa mun ensimmäisen syksytakin, ei tarttenu olla äidin tekemä, mää sain sen ostaa. Ja sinä vuonna oli muotia... mikäs se oli sen nimi... se oli harmaa... se oli semmonen... raudanharmaa... se oli semmonen oikein tummanharmaa. Ja sitten oli muotia sillon ne semmoset pitkänokkaset kengät. Ja mulle ostettiin semmonen... ja sama sävy oli joka paikassa. Se oli semmonen... takki oli ruudullinen, mutta se oli harmaa. Se oli... ei se ollu raudanharmaa, mikä on se toinen sana... steel gray... mikä se on? Teräksenharmaa! Se oli teräksenharmaa. Takki oli teräksenharmaa! Ja mä olin 14, kun sinä vuonna menin ripille, niin oli joo, ja mulla oli se teräksenharmaa takki ja teräksenharmaat uudet kengät ja teräksenharmaat nahkahansikkaat ja teräksenharmaa kaulahuivi. Ja sitte se mun rippipuku oli teräksenharmaa kaksosanen jakkupuku. Ja teräksenharmaat sukat. Mulla on kuvaki siittä. Ja se oli aivan ihana! Tää teräksenharmaa oli semmonen muotisana. Ja nytki mä justiin tunnen, ku mä oon 14-vuotias ja mulla on kaikki nää teräksenharmaat, hah hah... Ja sitte oli vihree hattu! Ne oli sen syksyn muotivärit... Aa, voi että... [...]

No comments: