Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Leo, Thornlands, QLD


Please note. The original memories were spoken in Finnish.


Leo speaks:


[...] Father dug ditches or worked in the woods, and I also had to go and work, doing timber-cutting when I was 14. I always remember that. I was cutting timber in the woods for the first time at 14, sawing wood. And before I turned 15, I hauled timber from the woods for one year. To the river’s edge. So, I did a man’s job at that age. Everything like that…. Same jobs as my Father. Digging ditches and so forth. So it wasn’t… my youth wasn’t really [about spending] leisure time and… then we made…. Well, when I turned 17 or so, I went to work in Urheilutarpeet [Sporting Needs]. I stayed there until I had to go to the army, and then…. Urheilutarpeet, that was the name. They manufactured skis. The factory was large, and they made a lot of skis there, with a lot of men working there. Sometimes they sent skis to Australia too. So I cannot remember very much. It happened so quickly when… the time when the war took so many years and…. I remember one thing – it always comes to mind. When I left for the army, my Mother made some coffee before I left, so… I always remember that…. I was visiting her, and I heard her sobbing by herself. She cried. It still makes me feel bad, when I think about it. [...]


____


Leo kertoo muistojaan:


[...] ojaa kaivo isä, mettätöissä oli ja minäki jouruin oleen mettätöissä neljätoistavuotiaana, mie muistan aina sen. Mie olin ensmäisen kerran neljätoistvuotiaana halkomettässä, sahaamassa halkoja. Ja mie olin ennen viittätoista vuotta, mie ajoin yhren vuoren tukkia mettästä. Jokirantaan. Että semmosessa miehen työssä olin semmosessa iässä. Kaikkii tommosta... Samoja töitä mitä isäki teki. Ojankaivuu ja semmosta. Ettei... ei se ollu lekottelua minunkaa nuoruus ja... sitte tehtiin, niin, sitte ko mie täytin seittemäntoista tai jotain siin nurkil, sitte mie menin semmosseen Urheilutarpeet. Siel mie olinkii nii kauan, ko joutu sotaväkee ja sitte... Urheilutarpeet, semmonen nimi oli. Tekivät suksia. Se oli niin iso tehdas, siel tehtii paljo suksia, paljo miehiä töissä. Tänne Australiaanki joskus lähettivät suksia. Et en mie paljo muista, se oli niin äkkiä, ko... se aika, kun se sota vei niin monta vuotta siinä välissä ja.... muistanhan mie senkii, semmosenkii, se aina muistuu mieleen, ku sotaväkeen ku meni, ni äiti laitto vielä kahvii viimeseks, ni... aina mie muistan sen kyllä... Kävin sen luona, ni mie kuulin, ku se nyyhkytti itekseen sielä. Se itki. Vieläki tekee pahaa, ku ajattelee. [...]

No comments: