Saturday, May 26, 2007

Juha and Annika, North Rocks, NSW




Please note. The memories were originally spoken in English.




Annika speaks:




[...] I have spent time in forests. Because of my Father; he was a forester. I have sort of been connected to the forest since I was very little and [connected to] what happened in the forest and the birds and everything else. They [those experiences] have always come forward very strongly. And what I… aah, one beautiful memory…. We were traveling in Lapland, and we had an American exchange student staying with us for the summer. I was about 15 years old, and then they [the family] showed Finland to the exchange student, and Pappa – we called Dad ‘Pappa’ – Pappa was working and his area of responsibility was the whole Finnish Lapland and the forests of Lapland. And he then organised for us to be able to spend nights in the huts owned by the Ministry of Forestry, and we traveled with him and at the same time he was working and we got to see Lapland. That is how we went to Lapland. It was summer; it was ’65. The rainiest summer I can remember, and the coldest. Maximum temperature was 15 degrees [Celcius], and it always rained and it was always windy. And the American girl said, “So, is it ever warm here in Finland?” We defended strongly, “Sometimes it is”, but, really, it was a really awful summer in that sense. But there, in Lapland, it was a good thing. Even though it drizzled and it was cool, we were able to walk a fair bit, and one night we went to a small lake, maybe it was more of a pond, a lake, or a pond, next to a Lappish mountain. And Pappa had to test the fishing. This is what I was told; I don’t know whether it was true or not. We went there with our fishing rods and it was, well, pretty late at night and as cold as a sin and… ha ha ha… and we started fishing, and right away we started catching fish. The fish just kept coming and coming and coming and coming. And this is not one of those fish stories. [...]




Juha speaks:




[...] We had a crazy amount of boats. More boats than people on the island. So it started at first with rowing through the closest straits. We did 20- to 30-kilometre rowing trips per day, and [when] we got the first motorboat, we started making longer trips. Then later we bought a fishing boat, which we drove from Hanko to Turku and back, and… And then I had a sailing boat, which I sailed around the Åland Islands, and I had it while studying in Helsinki. It was exactly…. I bought the sailing boat at the same time when I met Annika. I kept it for a few years, and then I sold it. And so… I learnt a lot there. We were really good fishermen. It was tough, physical work, under very demanding circumstances. The amount of physical work led to eating huge, huge proportions. And a lot of fish. So it is… probably the most… affected me very much… my childhood. [...]




____




Annika kertoo muistojaan:




[...] Metsäs oon ollu. Mun isän takii, ku se on metsänhoitaja. Mä oon paljo niinkun kiinnittyny jo pienest pitäen niinku metsään ja mitä metsäs tapahtuu ja linnut ja kaikki nää, ne on tullu aina voimakkaasti aina esille. Ja se mikä mulla... ah, yks ihana muisto. Me oltiin Lapis käymäs ja meil oli amerikkalainen vaihto-oppilas, sillon asu meillä sen kesän. Mä olin niinku viistoisvuotias ja sit ne näytti Suomee sille, ja pappa, sanottiin isäpapaks, pappa ni oli, tota, töissä ja sen vastuualueella oli koko Suomen Lappi ja sen Lapin metsät ja se sit järjesti meille, et me saatiin olla metsähallituksen kämpissä aina öitä, ja sit sen kans niinku matkustettiin ja se oli samal niinku töissä ja me sit saatiin nähdä Lappia. Silla lailla me mentiin Lappiin. Oli se kesä, se oli –65. Sateisin kesä mitä, tota, mä vieläkään muistan, ja kylmin. Maksimi lämpötila oli noin 15 astetta ja aina sato ja aina tuuli. Ja se amerikkalainen tyttö sanokin, että tota et, eiks tääl Suomes oo koskaan lämmintä. Me sit puolusteltiin kauheesti, onhan joskus, mut se oli kyl todella surkee kesä siin mieles. Mut siel Lapissa se oli hyvä asia. Vaik siel tihuutti ja oli viileetä, ni sit me jaksettiin kävellä aika paljon, ja yks ilta ni me mentiin sellaselle pienelle järvelle, se oli ehkä lampi enempi, tunturijärvi tai –lampi. Ja papan piti testata sitte kalat. Näin mulle sit kerrottiin, en tiedä olikse totta vai ei. Mentiin sinne onkinemme ja, tota noin, se oli aika myöhä ilta ja oli kylmä ko synti ja, ha ha ha, ja siel me pantiin se onki veteen ja heti alko tulla kalaa. Tuli ja tuli ja tuli ja tuli. Ja sit tää ei oo mikään kalajuttu edes. [...]




Juha tells his memories:




[...] Meil oli hurja määrä veneitä. Enemmän veneitä ku ihmisii saarella. Siis se lähti liikkeelle ihan siitä, et me ensin soudettiin lähisalmet, tehtiin 20-30 kilometrin soutureissuja päivässä ja saatii ensimmäinen moottorivene, ruvettii tekee sellassii pidempiä reissuja. Sit myöhemmin ostettiin semmonen kalastajavene, jolla me mentiin Hangosta Turkuun ja takasi ja... Ja sit mulla oli purjevene, jolla mä menin Ahvenanmaan ympäri ja mul oli se Helsingissä opiskelija-aikana. Se oli just, mä hankin purjeveneen just sillon, ku mä Annikan tapasin. Pidin sitä muutaman vuoden ja sit myin. Ja siis niin... siellähän mä opin hyvin paljon. Mehän oltiin todella niinko kovii kalastajia. Et kovaa fyysistä työtä, hyvin niinku rajuis olosuhteis. Sit se fyysisen työn määrä sitte niinku aiheutti sen, et me syötiin kans aivan, aivan mielettömästi. Ja paljon kalaa. Et se on... varmaan eniten... hyvin paljon vaikuttanu muhun... lapsuuteen. [...]

No comments: