Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Pirkko, King´s Cross, NSW






Please note. The original memories were spoken in Finnish.




Pirkko speaks:




[...] Two sisters, older ones, stayed in Finland, they were married already. At first I got really excited. I thought, “Oh my God”, you know, real nice [leaving to go to Australia]. I had a picture in my mind of this huge world, totally terrifying. And I got terribly excited, and my brother did too. We buried all our old mattresses and old things in our garden; we took nothing to the [second-hand] shops. Dad shoveled the pits and then we buried everything and everything had to be got rid of, since we could only take a suitcase and the clothes we were wearing. Then there came a feeling that… that, listen, I went to cry there, that… “No-o-o, I can’t leave my country, my Finland and my friend!” I cried upstairs in secrecy after all the things were gone. I did not say a word to anybody about it. I didn’t want to. I thought it was fun to go see the world, but what would happen to my friends and our house? It was my home and everything. I did not say anything to anybody about that. Nobody knows up ‘til today. [...]




Pirkko kertoo muistojaan:




[...] Kaks siskoo, jäi vanhinta, ne oli naimisis jo, ne jäi Suamee. Mä enstee tulin hirveen excited, mä aattelin, että oh my God, että you know että ihan kiva, että sellanen kuva, että suurmaailma ja ihan kauhia. Ja mie innostuin ihan hirveesti, ja veljen kanssa. Me vaan haudattiin kaikki meidän patjat ja vanhat tavarat sinne meijän puutarhaan, ei me mitää niinku viäty kauppaa. Iskä kaivo kuapat ja kaikki haudattii vaa ja kaikki piti hävittää, ku ei voinu ottaa ku matkalaukku vaa ja vaatteet päälle. Sit mulle tuli sellanen tunne, että... mie menin sinne kuule itkemään että... e-e-en mie voi jättää miun kotimaata, Suomen maata ja mun kaveria. Mä tietsä salaa itkin siäl yläkerras, kun kaik tavarat ol viäty. En mie sanon kellee mitää. Mie en halunnu. Mie aattelin, että kivahan se on lähtä maailmalle, mut mites mun kaverit ja meijän talo, se oli mun koti ja kaikki. En mie mitää kellee sanonu siittä. Ei kukaa vieläkää tiijä. [...]

No comments: