Friday, April 27, 2007

Irene and Mirja, Canberra, ACT


Please note. The following memories were originally spoken in Finnish.


Irene speaks:


[...] There was snow on the ground and the horizon was red because they were burning… the houses on the border were burning and the road was so slippery with ice that we went off the road, I remember. Once we went off. And then we got to the station and there were maybe two trains. Tyyne got to go in the passenger train with cousin Irma, the baby. On that train they took only old people and children and the sick. And they got to leave but we stayed, my sister and me and a big mob from our village. My godfather took care of us. [...]


And that train… I always remember when the long train came and all the carriages were cattle wagons, but closed, and they had a portable stove in the middle and some firewood next to it. And they placed people into every carriage. There were about 40 of us in the one I was in. And somehow our neighbours… they must have missed the passenger train. Kerttu Rättö had a tiny baby that cried almost all the way, and she had to travel in the cattle car with us. Then there were people from our village. At least half of the people we knew, but some we didn´t know, my sister and me. And then there was an old man who started to heat up the stove in the middle of the cattle wagon. And then the train dispatcher yelled not to rush to the first wagons, there are 62 carriages in this train, there is room for everyone. Sixty-two carriages. And I always remember when [...]


Mirja speaks:


[...] The atmosphere when leaving… I was 12 years of age when we arrived, and leaving was so exciting to me. When I found out… when Dad and Mum told us that we were going to Australia, it felt really exciting, and it somehow felt like we were special for doing something that nobody else had done. From that area, to my knowledge, nobody had ever left [to go] overseas from our village. That was a big thing of course and I remember, at school, when we moved from Kokkila to Salo (this happened half a year before moving to Australia) and before we left, I visited my school to say, “Goodbye” and I remember when my teacher then asked… the teacher had hung a large world map on the wall and I had to show on it where we were going and how, and when I now think of it, it would have been fun if I had remembered a bit more and knew… remembered to ask which route we would take, but I hadn’t thought along those lines. But it is a terribly long trip when you travel from Finland to Australia – you travel half the world. It was very exciting. So the atmosphere was… not scary in any way. When Mum and Dad came along, the whole family left, I didn’t feel… [...]


Irene kertoo muistojaan:


[...] Lunta maassa ja kaikki taivaanranta oli punasena ko ne poltti...palo ne rajatalot siellä ja niin liukas se jäinen maantie et me oltii sen hevosen reen kans jossai ojassaki, mää muistan, et me oltii kerran. Ja sit asemalle ko päästii, ni siel oli sitte vissii kaksiki junaa. Tyyne pääsi sitte Irma-serkun kans mikä oli pien vauva ni siihe henkilöjunaa. Ja siihe ei otettu sit ko vanhoi ja lapsia ja sairaita. Ja he pääsi lähtemää mut me jäätii sitte siskon kans ja meijä kyläläisii muita iso sakki. Mun kummisetä piti meistä niinko siskon kans huolta [...]


Ja se juna, mä muistan aina ko se tuli se pitkä juna ja ne ol kaikki härkävaunuja, mut kuitenki umpinaisia ja niis oli kamina keskellä ja vähän puitakii oli sitte. Ja joka vaunuun sitte sijoitettii, meitäki oli 40 vissii siinä vaunussa. Ja jollain taval siihe vielä naapuri...he ei varmaan sitte kerinneet sitte siihe henkilöjunaa. Rätön Kertulla oli ja pien vauva ihan mikä sit itki melkee koko aika ja hän joutus sitte sinne härkävaunuu meijän kans. Sitte siinä oli meijä kyläläisii, tuttavii puolet ainakii, mut oli osa ettei me tunnettu siskon kans. Ja sit oli yks vanha mies mikä rupes sitä kaminaa lämmittämään siinä keskellä härkävaunua. Ja se junalähettäjä sitte ko se huusi, et älkää rynnätkö niihi ensimmäisii vaunuja, et tässä junassa on 62 vaunua, et kaikille on tilaa. Kuuskymment kaks vaunua. Ja mä muistan aina [...]


Mirja kertoo muistojaan:


[...] Se lähtötunnelma ku me lähettii. Mä olin 12-vuotias ku me tultii, ni must oli nii jännää, ku me lähettii. Ku mä sain tietää...ku isä ja äiti kerto et me ollaan lähössä Australiaan, se tuntu niin jännältä et se jotenki tuntu, et me ollaan jotenki erikoisia, ku me tehään jottai semmosta mitä kukkaa muu ei ollu tehny. Sieltei ollu koskaan, ainakaan mun tietääkseni, kukaa lähteny maailmalle sieltä meijän kylästäkää. Se oli tietysti iso juttu ja mä muistan, ku koulussa, ku me muutettiin sitte sieltä Kokkilasta Saloon noin puol vuotta enneku me lähettii Australiaan ja sitte ennen ku me lähettii mä kävin siellä mun koululla vielä hyvästelemässä ja mä muistan ku mun opettaja sitte pyysi... hän oli laittanu ison maailman kartan sinne taululle ja sitte mun piti näyttää siitä mihin me mennään ja miten ja nyt mä ajattelen jälkeen päin, et ois ollu kiva jos ois vähä enemmän muistanu ja osannu, ja muistanu kysyä mitä reittii me mennään, mut enhän mä osannu semmosia ajatellakkaan. Mut ainakin se oli kauhian iso matka, ku tullaan Suomesta Australiaan, puol maailmaa siinä menee. Se oli kyllä jännää. Et se tunnelma oli...ei mitenkää pelottava. Ku äiti ja isi tuli mukkaa, koko perhe lähti ni ei mul ollu mitenkää... [...]


No comments: