Sunday, April 22, 2007

Laura, Launceston, TAS


Please note. The original memories were told in Finnish.


Laura speaks:


[...] the older kids were there: Maija and Juhani and Valto. They had made a dough out of wheat flour and thrown it around the walls and… hah hah… then the neighbour came and the kids threw the stuff into his face because the boy, Pentti, had said to them, “If you don´t start cleaning up now, I am going to give you a hiding!” Everything was cleaned up and they were sitting on the bench in a row when I came home. And so Pentti said, “It is better if you tell your Mum now what you have done.” Nothing else was said, they just laughed and I did not dare to say anything more. So there´s been many funny stories like that. Pentti was a very good friend there. He always came to check, when my husband was working far away, he always came to check if I was alive. It was a –52 degrees weather that morning. Isn´t that a hard pakkanen? I went to the shop three kilometres away, by bike. I was wearing men´s pants and all one could see were my eyes and a bit of my mouth. I had that sort of beanie – I knitted it. The same for the kids when they went to school. Yeah. That´s it. When [I came to Australia and] I looked outside from this window, I said ”This is my place now. I won´t leave this place, that is for sure, until it is time to go to the cemetery.” That was 35 years ago; 36 coming up next year. That is a long time.


Laura kertoo muistojaan:


[...] vanhemmat lapset oli siellä: Maija ja Juhani ja Valto, ne oli tehny vehnäjauhosta taekinan ja ne oli syytäny ympäri seinää ja, hah hah, sitte naapuri oli tullu ja ne oli heittäny sitä sen sen naamaan ja se poika, Pentti, ku oli sanonu niille, että ”nyt jos että ala siivota ennenku äiti tullee, niin minä hakkaan teijät!” Kaikki oli siivottu ja ne istu rivissä siellä penkillä, ku mä tulin kotia. Niin se Pentti sano että ”parempi kun nyt kerrotta äitille mitä te ootta teheny”. Eikä muuta, ku ne naoro vaen sitte enkä minäkää uskaltanu sanua mittää. Että niiton monta semmosta hassua juttua ollu. Pentti oli oekeen hyvä kaveri siellä. Se aina kävi kattomassa, ku mun mies oli kaokana töessä, ni se aena tuli kattomaan oonko minä hengissä. 52 astetta pakkasta oli sinä aamuna. Eiks oo kova pakkanen? Minä kävin kolomen kilometrin päässä kaopassa polokupyörällä. Mulloli miesten housut jalassa ja silimät vaen näky ja tästä suuta, mulla oli semmonen lakki, mä kuvon. Samanlaeset lapsille, ku ne kouluun meni. Jee. That’s it. Kun minä katon ensimmäisen kerran ulos tästä ikkunasta, minä sanon ”tämä on nyt minun paekka, minä en varmasti lähe tästä minnekkään ennenku hautausmaalle”. Siitä on kolokytäviis vuotta nyt, tullee kolokytäkuus vuotta ens vuonna. Se on pitkä aeka.

No comments: