Monday, April 16, 2007

Lauri and Sinikka, Merrylands, NSW


Please note. The original memories were told in Finnish.


Lauri speaks:


[...] Yeah, I turned 14 on the way here at the Suez Canal. That´s when I left Finland… or it started when… Father died in the war and… there were five of us brothers and… and my Mother´s sister took me to live with her at my Granddad´s place. That is where I spent my youth and went to school and so forth. Then my aunty moved to Australia with her husband. So it popped into my mind there, at school, to write a letter to my aunty and ask if there would be any work or jobs for me in Australia, and that I would like to go there. And she sent me a letter saying, “Yeah, sure, if you just manage to organise the trip.” Then, “It´s all right, just get yourself a passport.” A passport and vaccinations, and she would send a ticket for a certain boat and so forth. Well, I did as I was told and organised the paperwork, and finally the moment came: I was ready to leave. I left Finland; actually the boat embarked from Turku… the ship. And since I was traveling alone I had to get permission from Mother, and she signed a paper to say that… yeah, I can travel. Travel to Australia. And aunty promised to come and fetch me at the other end. So [...]


Sinikka speaks:


[...] It was a winter night and fairly late. Almost night, I reckon. Suddenly, after midnight when everybody was already sleeping, there was banging on the window. Wondered who would be going around at that time of night? I went to look…or was it my Mother who opened the door? It was this Lauri at the door, with his friend, and his friend had advised Lauri where to find women; said, “Let´s go find women.” So Lauri came and then he visited many times; for two or three weeks he hunted and hunted [me], and then my second cousin Juhani came for a visit. Juhani started talking while we were heating up the sauna together: “Listen… Lauri would like to be with you… do not leave him. Try and make him your husband.” In other words, it is partly because of Juhani that we are married, Lauri and I… Because it actually, slowly, started then, although I objected at the last minute before getting engaged. I said “I don´t know if I am going anywhere with you.” Ha ha ha… [...]


Lauri kertoo muistojaan:


[...] Joo, siinä Suezin kanavalla tosiaan täytin 14 tullessani. Lähin sillon Suomesta… tai se alako siitä kun nin… kun mun isä oli kaatunu sodassa ja… meit on viis velijestä ja nin… mun äitin sisko otti minut niinko hoitoon sinne isoisän paikalle. Siellä kasvoin nuoruuden päivät ja menin kouluun ja kaikki. Sitten täti muutti miähineen Austraaliaan. Nin mulle tuli vaan miäleen sielä jotta nin kirjoittaa koulusta tänne Australiaan tätille, että joko siellä pian on meikäläiselle mitään töitä ja paikkoja sielä Austraaliassa, tekis miäli kans muuttaa sinne. Ni se kirjootti mulle vastaten että joo, että onko mulla niinkun miälenkiintoa tänne tulla. Mä että joo, iliman muuta, että jos vaan onnistuu. Se vaan, että no ei siinä mitään, mee hommaamaan ittelles passi. Passi ja rokot kaikki voimaan ja hän lähettää sitten lipun, että ninnin siihe laivaan sillon ja sillon. No... [...]


Sinikka kertoo muistojaan:


[...] Ja se oli talavi-ilta ja aika myöhänen vielä. Tais olla yötä jo. Yhtäkkiä rupes kuulumaan, puolen yön jäläkeen, me oltiin kaikki jo nukkumassa ja yhtäkkiä ikkunaan kopistetaan. Että kuka siellä tähän aikaan keskellä yötä kulukee. Meen kattomaan, vai äitikö se tais aukasta oven. Tämä Laurihan siellä seiso oven takana, kaverisa kans, ja kaveri oli neuvonu sille, että hän tietää misson naisia, että lähetään naisiin. Laurihan tuli ja sehän kulki meillä monta aikaa, kas kolome viikkua kävi siellä jahtaamassa ja jahtaamassa, ja sitte mun pikkuserkku Juhani oli meillä. Juhani kerran rupes puhumaan, ku me lämmitettiin saunaa Juhanin kans: ”Kuule tuota nin... Lauri haluais niinku sun kans että... älä nyt jätä sitä. Koita ota siitä vaan mies itelles.” Eli toisin sanoen se on niinku Juhanin ansiota tavallaan, että minä Laurin kans oon naimisissa... Tosiaan siitä se sitte niinku pikkuhilijaa alako, vaikka minäki panin vielä viime hetkellä hanttiin, ku kihloille lähettiin, että en minä taijja sun kans lähtiä mihinkään heh... [...]

No comments: