Friday, April 20, 2007

Urpo, Melbourne CBD, VIC


Please note. The original memories were spoken in Finnish.


Urpo speaks:


Firstly, I would say that I always remember my parents. I got this enthusiasm from my mother, Kerttu, and also a kind of loyalty from my father. Memories from my adolescence come to mind easily. When I started… electronics was my hobby and I built radios and so forth, but especially I worked as a postie when 14-15 years of age, on the snowy, dark streets of Savo. Sometimes there was as much as 10-15 centimetres of snow. I always remember how the bike couldn´t get through the snow then. My parents came to help me out and so forth; they supported me. And in a similar manner, they gave me freedom to study and work… in that sense I owe them. They have been good examples to myself and others. It comes to my mind often. [...]


Urpo kertoo muistojaan:


Ensimmäisenä mä sanosin, että mulla tulee aina nää vanhemmat mieleen. Mä oon tämmösen innon saanu mun äitiltä, Kertulta, ja samon isältä saanu taas semmosen lojaalisuuden. Tulee nää nuoruusmuistot herkästi mieleen, ku alotin sillon... harrastin sillon elektroniikkaa ja tein kaikkia radioita ja muita, mutta erikoisesti mä tota jaoin postia sillon 14-15-vuotiaana Savon lumisilla, pimeillä kaduilla. Joskus siellä luntaki oli 10-15 senttiä. Mä muistan aina, kun polkupyöräkää ei kulkenu. Vanhemmat tuli sitte auttaan mua sinne ja muuta ja tukivat siinä. Ja samoin antaneet niinku aika vapauden opiskella ja tehä töitä...kiitollisuuden velassa siinä mielessä. Ne on ollu hyviä esimerkkejä mulle ja muille. Tulee usein mieleen. [...]

No comments: