Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Kyllikki, Lightning Ridge, NSW

Please note. The original memories were spoken in Finnish.
.
Kyllikki speaks:

I loved nature all my life. Father was a lumberer, so on school holidays I helped him out. What did we do there? I turned the logs and worked as a ´measure girl´. My mind sometimes started to wander and I’d look around, but then Father roared, “On the log, on the timber, quick!” One time, while in Primary school, (I don´t know why), Father wanted me to go with him. I waved and asked the teacher if I could be absent for one day, because I had to go and help Father in the woods. Hard to say; maybe I was not a teenager yet. The teacher, an old-timer, said that it was a good thing to help Father, so the absence was granted. So we went to the woods and it was timber land, and spring – slosh ! Sort of wet… I remember that… Father said it is called konkelo when a sawn tree stays leaning against another tree, and he started felling other trees and then came back to where he started. He didn´t remember there was a konkelo. Timber trees are high. So he started felling the tree that the other tree was leaning on, but I thought to look up and saw the tree starting to fall. I screamed terribly. Father jumped, just a short jump away, and the tree fell right where he had been standing. I did not usually stay away from school like that. I don´t know if it was guidance or what it was. So fortunately Father was startled by my scream. I yelled so loudly over the noise of the motor-driven saw that he jumped; my scream scared him and he jumped. He would have died otherwise.

My Mother was lovable and everybody liked her. She always had time to take us into her arms and pat us, when the world treated us roughly. So it was very safe. Mother gave fresh bread to all the vagabonds who were walking around, and they all got to fill their tummies. And Mother put the sauna on. The same with the vagrant gypsies. Everybody got to go to the sauna, and there was hay for the horses. And Mama said she could give to others, those in need. She did not feel she would run out of bread herself. And she never did.

.

Kyllikki kertoo muistojaan:
.

Luonnosta tykänny koko iän. Ja sitte isä oli metsuri, niin koululomilla oltiin avustamassa. Mitä me nyt siellä tehtiin? Käänneltiin ja mittatyttönä oltiin. Välistä rupes ihmetteleen ja katteleen, mutta isä ku ärjäs, niin pöllin, rungon, päälle äkkiä! Kerran olin kansakoulussa niin jostakin syystä, en tiedä miks isä halus, että mukaan mennä. Mä viittasin ja kysyn opettajalta, että saanko mä olla päivän pois, mä meen isää avustamaan metsään, ehkä vaikee sanoo, alle teini-ikänen. Opettaja, vanhan kansan, sano että se on hyvä, että isää avustaa, että kyllä voi olla. No, me mentiin metsään ja se oli tukkimetsä, niin keväträntää... semmonen vetinen oli... sen mä muistan, mutta... isä sano konkelo, tekee konkelon kun puu jää toiseen puuhun, vasten, ja isä rupes muita tukkeja sitten kaataan ja sit se palaantu sinne ja se ei muistanu, et siellä on se konkelo. Tukki on korkee. Se sitä puuta rupes just kaatamaan, missä oli irrallinen puu nojallaan, niin mä huomasin katsoo ylös ja se alko liikkumaan. Mä huusin kauheesti. Isä pomppas, vaan semmosen hyppäyksen pois, ja se tukkirunko lämähti siihen paikkaan missä se oli seisonu. Emmä yleensä koulusta sillai ollu. En mä tiedä onko johdatusta vai mitä on. Niin isä onneks säikähti mun rääkäsyä. Moottorisahan yli mä huusin niin kovaa, et pomppas, säikähti mun huutoo, pomppas. Ois kuollu varmaan.

Äiti oli rakastava ja pidetty, kaikki tykkäs. Aina oli aikaa äidillä ottaa syliin ja silittää, kun maailma murjo. Et oli turvallinen. Kaikki kulkurit, jotka kulki, niin maatalossa äidillä oli aina tuoretta leipää ja kaikki kulkurit sai syödä vatsansa täyteen. Ja äiti lämmitti vielä saunan. Ja samoin kiertäville mustalaisille. Kaikki sai saunan ja heiniä hevosille. Ja mama sano, että hän voi antaa toisillekki, jotka tarvii. Että häneltä ei tunnu, että leipä loppuu. Eikä oo koskaan loppunu.

No comments: